Please don’t hate me for what I’m about to say. I know it is not a popular opinion. Here it goes. I am not a person who adores fall. Not that there is anything wrong with fall, but simply for the fact that it represents the close of summer and basically the start of winter. What can I say, I’m a summer person, and I’m not afraid to admit it. Many of my friends, however, are TOTAL fall people, excited about pumpkin spice everything and wearing boots and scarves. This year I’m doing my best to be excited about it. Since we are still working hard to pay off our student loans, we do all of our activities on a budget. Fall is no different. So, here are 20 free or cheap fall bucket list activities that you can do with your family to make this the most fall-y fall yet. It has made me considerably less sad about fall.
- Go to a pumpkin patch. Usually the only cost involved at a pumpkin patch is the pumpkins or any other produce you may purchase. Some over the top pumpkin patches do require an entry fee. We avoid those, but you can sometimes find good deals on Groupon for cheaper entry in the event that they charge you. I personally like the quaint, true pumpkin patches best.
- Carve pumpkins. Another favorite cheap or free fall activity is to carve pumpkins with friends and family.
- Hike through the fall leaves. My favorite free fall activity BY FAR is hiking through the fall leaves. I’ve been really lucky in life to live some beautiful places in the fall.
- Make fall art with leaves
- Bake Halloween themed sugar cookies. Baking Halloween cookies is by far the best among all of the cheap or free fall bucket list activities.
- Drink apple cider by the fire.
- Go apple picking.
- Rake and jump and play in leaves.
- Play football.
- Hay ride.
- Watch a spooky movie.
- Go on a scenic drive in the fall leaves.
- Have a bon fire, make smores.
- Collect pine cones.
- Make soup.
- Go camping.
- Watch football.
- Decorate your home for fall. Follow my Fall Pinterest board for lots of great ideas.
- Visit a corn maze
- Make Halloween costumes. This year we are characters from the Trolls movie. Danny and I are bergens and M was the troll Branch. We had a blast making our costumes together and spent less than $2 per costume!
What are some cheap or free fall activities you are doing this season? Comment below!
P.S. Have you subscribed to our newsletter? We share all of our tips and tricks about paying off our debt, including our personal debt updates.